Dr Faebian Bastiman
Faebian is currently a Freelance Consultant living in Berlin, Germany. One of his projects involves maintaining a custom MBE deposition control software he wrote in 2019 called “EPIMAX Console”.
He received his MEng and PhD degrees in Electronic & Electrical Engineering from the University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK, in 2004 and 2010, respectively. In July 2010, he was awarded the EPSRC Post Doctoral Prize Fellowship and began working in the same Department on growth of novel structures and materials. This was followed by a Research Associate position in the EPSRC National Centre for III-V technologies where he synthesised and optimised a broad range of III-V alloys. During this placement he concurrently engaged in training and managing a team of PhD students in the operation of III-V MBE systems. His research combined fundamental material science and device development. His final research projects involved pioneering work with bismuth containing alloys and cross-material platform integration including the growth of III-V nanowires on silicon substrates.
Previous Research interests
- Nanowires for III-V/Si platform integration
- GaAsBi/GaAs(100) pin diodes for 1.24 – 1.55 µm emitters and detectors
- InAsBi/GaAs(100) quantum dots for 1.3 µm emission
- InAsBi/InAs(100) “vanishing” band gap for far infra red (FIR)
- III-V-Sb/GaAs interfacial misfit (IMF) for III-V templates
- III-V-P/GaAs lattice matched and strain balanced systems